Alister Scott wrote a really nice paper on designing good specifications with examples/bdd scenarios/acceptance tests – focused on Cucumber, but applicable to other tools as well. He captured how to evolve horrible scripts into something quite useful. I strongly recommend reading it, especially if you’re working with UI tests.
Now go to http://watirmelon.com/2011/05/18/specification-by-example-a-love-story/ and enjoy!
I'm Gojko Adzic, author of Impact Mapping and Specification by Example. My latest book is Fifty Quick Ideas to Improve Your User Stories. To learn about discounts on my books, conferences and workshops, sign up for Impact or follow me on Twitter. Join me at these conferences and workshops:
Specification by Example Workshops
- Bordeaux, Fr, 29-30 October
- Riga, LV, 12-14 November
- Dublin, IE, 20-21 November
- Vienna, AT, 20-21 April 2015
Product Owner Survival Camp
- London, UK, 24-25 November
- Stockholm, SE (with Jeff Patton and Mattias Skarin), 3-4 November
- Zurich, CH, Spring 2015 (TBA)
Conference talks and workshops